Liver Cleansing Diet
In 1997, Dr. Sandra Cabot’s book, “The Liver Cleansing Diet” became one of the most popular diet fads of that era. The diet mainly focused on improving overall liver function in order to lose weight. “The Liver Cleansing Diet” stated the liver was the focal point of many troublesome health issues. For your body to function properly, the liver must be in excellent working order.
Purpose of the Liver
The liver is the organ responsible for producing bile and storing glucose. Bile is a key component of digestion and glucose provides energy. The liver acts as a filter for removing or breaking down toxins like ammonia, drugs, alcohol, and other chemicals to which we’re exposed in the modern world.
According to Dr. Sandra Cabot’s website, more than 50% of people over age 50 are diagnosed as having a fatty liver. If your liver is not functioning well, it’s possible for you to experience problems with blood clotting, digestion, and overall health.
Benefits of the Liver Cleansing Diet
Liver Cleansing Diet
The liver cleansing diet relies on strict principles that must be followed if you wish to achieve success.
- Stick to raw organic fruits and vegetables, preferably with each meal. Vegetables that are dark green, yellow, orange, and red are the best choices.
- Only use cold pressed oils for cooking and use sparingly. Flaxseed oil, sunflower oil, evening primrose oil, black currant seed oil, and fish oils are best.
- Avoid butter and margarine.
- Do not eat any processed foods e.g. in cans, bags, boxes, etc.
- Avoid refined sugars. If you must sweeten beverages or garnish dishes, use organic rice syrup, date sugar, maple syrup, molasses, honey, or dried fruits.
- Avoid alcohol. If you can’t abstain entirely, limit yourself to three drinking days per week so the liver has time to process the toxins.
- Do not rely on meats for protein. If you must eat meat, choose only organic, lean cuts. Buy only free-range eggs.
- Stick to vegetables with healing qualities. Tomatoes, beets, and cranberries offer health benefits that cannot be ignored.
- Drink lots of purified water. Avoid coffee, black tea, colas, and anything else with caffeine.
- Choose only organic foods.
- Eat lots of fiber to keep your bowels functioning properly.
- Stick to foods promoting liver function with key nutrients – Vitamin K, Iron, Antioxidants, Selenium, essential fatty acids, and sulfur.
- Wash your hands regularly to minimize bacteria.
Problems with the Liver Cleansing Program
The Liver Cleansing Diet recommends only organic and free-range meats and eggs. The Liver Cleansing Diet also relies heavily on fresh vegetable juices. If you do not own a juicer, you will need to invest in one. Look for a model that is easy to clean. Many models claim they can be cleaned easily, but can take half an hour to get the machine thoroughly cleaned, dried, and stored. Breakfast involves drinking two glasses of fresh lime or lemon juice followed by a mixture of carrot, celery, and parsley juice. In fact, a sample daily menu includes:
- Breakfast – Rusher’s Shake. Blend rice milk, crushed ice (made from purified water), banana slices, strawberries and pineapple
- Lunch – Avocado, Mango, and Lime Salad. Mix organic lettuce, avocado slices, mango, green capsicum, red capsicum, shallots, parsley and chives.
- Dinner – Grilled Salmon. Salmon rubbed with extra virgin olive oil, dill, and lemon juice. Serve with a green salad.
Many followers of the Liver Cleansing Diet noticed their skin turning orange from the excessive amounts of beta-carotene found in the carrots they ate or the juice they drank daily. Another issue remains—the core of the diet centers on the consumption of uncooked fruits and vegetables. The diet can be difficult to maintain over time due to the average person being accustomed to eating cooked meals even though raw organic vegetables provide far more nutrition for your body.
An Alternative to the Liver Cleansing Diet
If you want to help clean your liver of toxins, another alternative is to do an actual liver cleanse. There liver cleanse products and instructions that also help to purify your liver. Of course, following a strict liver cleansing diet, is the best route to take, but there are alternatives available to help the cleansing process along.
If you are looking for a high-quality oxygen colon cleanser, we recommend Oxy-Powder®.